Welcome (:

Hello everyone and welcome to my bookblog!

I'm Martina, 22, and I live in the middle of nowhere in Italy. (Yeah, it's so sad! I don't wanna live here!)

I love books and here I will talk about 'em. YA, dystopian, scifi, paranormal, contemporary..... I am a BIBLIOPHILE.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Paper Towns by John Green | Spoiler Review #1

"PAPER TOWNS"

John Green is one of the best author in earth - and I'm not exaggerating! The way that he writes and makes you feels are such an incredible gifts that I am honor to be given. He doesn't write poetry, HE IS POETRY. Because, just saying, everything he writes is some kind of treasure. As Hazel said to Peter Van Houten "Frankly, I'd read your grocery lists.".
By the way, let's start with the real review.
I really enjoyed this book, and the more I read the more I liked. There were passages in which I was so frustrated because I was totally screaming "what the heck? where is she?", but it was one of the things that made this book so great.
[This review contain spoilers]

Quentin Jacobson is a real teenager, he's scared, he has a bunch of close friends to rely on, he is REAL. He's in love with Margo Roth Spiegelman, who - guess what? - doesn't really care too much about him. She is popular, and perfect, and everything that Q wants. Our journey began when Margo appeared on Q's window. As she said "Tonight, darling, we are going to right a lot of wrongs." In this night, everything happened. Margo was going to get revenge on every people she thinks they care about her, instead they betrayed her. It turns out that this night was the best Q has ever lived. Personally, I really LOVE revenge's stories, and we can see that Margo's plans are crazy, fun and just like her.. unpredictable. At the end of this journey Quentin could understand Margo a little better.
Here's what's not beautiful about it: from here, you can't see the rust or the cracked paint or whatever, but you can tell what the place really is. You can see how fake it all is. It's not even hard enough to be made out of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean, look at it, Q: look at all those culs-de-sac, those streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. And all the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.” - Margo Roth Spiegelman
And then, the day after she disappeared. Quentin tried everything in is power to find her, but even her parents don't give a effe about her. Nobody fully understood her, she was different from everyone, she was not what she seems.
From this point, Q noticed that she gave him some clues to find her, and here began the research.
From her room to her school's closet, from his room to his car, he finally understood some of the clues. Reading a Whitman poem, he found an address to an abandoned minimall. It is a mystery he absolutely wanted to solve, because he thought she gave him the clues to be found (dead or alive). For most of the book, Quentin was terrified, he was afraid the clues would bring him to her corpse.
In the end, all the pieces of the puzzle got together and Quentin and his friends went to a hell of a trip. In 23 hours and 40 minutes they had to get to Agloe, where Margo was hidden. I think this is one of the best and hilarious moments in the entire book. It's a trip book, mentally and physically. When Quentin finally found Margo, he faced what was the real Margo, not the idea of her that he had.
"Maybe, it's more like you said before, all of us being cracked open. Like each of us starts out as a watertight vessel. And these things happen-these people leave us, or don't love us, or don't get us, or we don't get them, and we lose and fail and hurt one another. And the vessel starts to crack open in places. And I mean, yeah, once the vessel cracks open, the end becomes inevitable...But there is all this time between when the cracks start to open up and when we finally fall apart. And it's only in that time that we can see each other, because we see out of ourselves through our cracks and into others through theirs. When did we see each other face-to-face? Not until you saw into my cracks and I saw into yours. Before that we were just looking at ideas of each other, like looking at your window shade but never looking inside. But once the vessel cracks, the like can get in. The like can get out.” - Margo Roth Spiegelman

I gave it 4.5 of 5 stars. It's such an amazing reading, so gripping that keeps you going on reading it. Because as you see through Quentin “Margo always loved mysteries. And in everything that came afterward, I could never stop thinking that maybe she loved mysteries so much that she became one.”. I loved going through the pages trying to figure out where she was, why she left and the very question in the whole book was "who is the real Margo?". I recommend this book to everyone, it makes you question what's important, what's around us. And you, are you a paper girl living in a paper town?


-M

No comments:

Post a Comment